Maternal and Infant Health
HEALTHY START—“GREAT BEGINNINGS”
The Healthy Start—“Great Beginnings” program goal is to eliminate the disparities seen in infant deaths in Saginaw County. In 2002, three times as many African American babies died as compared to the number of Caucasian babies who died. Therefore, an emphasis is being placed on lowering the number of deaths of African American infants in our county. Healthy Start is open to all Saginaw County women who are pregnant and to families with children under years of age. There is NO COST to be in the program; however, participants must be willing to have a nurse and maternal child advocate come into the home for regularly scheduled home visits.
SERVICES FOR HEALTHY START
- Pregnancy testing
- Finding a doctor who cares for your health needs
- Finding a doctor for your baby
- Getting health insurance to pay for health care during the pregnancy and for your children
- Information on pregnancy, childbirth education, parenting, nutrition, and other health issues
Finding help for:
- Baby supplies
- Smoking cessation
- Substance abuse
- Mental health problems
- Domestic violence
- Transportation assistance for medical appointments and childbirth/parenting education
- Family planning
- Time to Talk Support Group
To receive more information or to make a referral to Healthy Start, please call 989-758-3851.
HEALTHY START CONSORTIA
The Healthy Start Consortia is a group of current or past program participants who work with health care providers on the Healthy Start Consortium. The consortium acts as an advisory group to the Healthy Start program. This group is open to anyone who is directly affected by issues related to pregnancy and parenting in an effort to help our community decrease infant mortality.
The Consortia meetings are free. The group meets:
· When: the second Wednesday in January, April, July, and October
· Time: at 5:00 p.m.
· Where: the Saginaw County Department of Public Health, 1600 North Michigan Avenue, Saginaw, MI.
Transportation assistance is provided. To join this group or to obtain more information, please call 989-758-3693.